Indications for a genetic research
In the scheme below we listed the main indications for a genetic examination.
Which questions can I ask to the center for medical genetics ?
- Does my child have a hereditary disease?
- Is the condition that runs in my family hereditable?
- Do I have a hereditary disease myself?
- Is there a genetic risk for my children?
- How is the disease’s course?
- Can the disease be treated?
- Can a disease be detected before I get ill?
- Is my legal father also my biological father? (only for adults, unless by court)
For which indications can I consult the center for medical genetics?
- Inexplicable mental handicap
- Congenital abnormalities
- Several family members with the same condition
- Many family members with cancer
- Cancer at a young age
- Several miscarriages
- Pregnancy at later age
- Abnormalities revealed by ultra-sound scan during pregnancy
- No puberty
- Parents are close relatives
- Paternity analysis
Last updated: 02 July 2015 - 09:37
Copyright 2017 Center for Medical Genetics, Gent.